Saturday Night, December 1, 2007
Saturday Night Updates
Lots going on right now. Rumors are abundant! How many are true? What is really going on between doors? Wouldn’t it be a lot of fun to be a fly one some of those walls? Fortunately, we have some great sites that keep us informed about what is being said in newspapers or elsewhere around the baseball world! I thought it would be good to have a quick update on Saturday night. I will post a few things and if I find others, I will add them to this posting throughout the night. Also, if you have any rumors that you are finding interesting, please let me know. Send me an e-mail or post a comment.
has been so much talk about Johan Santana rumors, that I thought I would start
out with a very intriguing offer/rumor surrounding Twins closer Joe Nathan
(thanks to Al’s Ramblings for this
link). MLB Rumors is reporting that the Twins and Brewers are talking. That
isn’t the surprise. I was shocked to read this:
“They plan to start with Joe Nathan in hopes of prying him away from the Twins. It will cost them though because Nathan was dominant yet again for the Twins. The Brewers would probably have to include Rickie Weeks, along with Carlos Villanueva, and maybe another prospect. I do not think that is too much to ask for.”
What do you think? If this is a real offer, why haven’t the Twins immediately said yes?
is a lot of great stuff right now over at Al’s Ramblings, including a
note about the Twins and Scott Rolen, but I wanted to include one thought (posted at 12/01/2007 04:20:00 AM)
that he had that I am sure
Twins fans can debate:
“The more I think about it, I'd much rather have Phil Hughes for 3 years at $400K and 6 years total than Santana for a year at $13M or for 5 years at $20M per. It'd be a PR disaster, but I would probably do Hughes for Santana even up. I would hold out as long as I could and try and get Rob Cano instead of Cabrera, however.”
· La Velle is scheduled to be in Nashville for the Winter Meetings. However, the weather in the Twin Cities today (Saturday) has involved a lot of snow and it is set to turn to sleep and freezing rain. Hopefully he will be able to safely get to the airport and make the flight to Tennessee. He posted a Saturday Update as well, much of it regarding the Twins and Yankees talk. It is called The Twins Will Not Compromise, which I think it a great motto for these Johan negotiations! Joe Christensen posted earlier today about the Yankees willingness to add Phil Hughes to any package for Johan Santana.
would like to encourage some discussion on this list as well, so please be sure
to post your opinions. This question comes from “Trevor”, and I think it is a
great question. I’d love to hear your thoughts:
“I was wondering if you could get a discussion going for the key cogs of the Santana Sweepstakes. We should be getting familiarized with this group since it is all but done. Listing the strengths and weaknesses of both pitchers and center fielders. Go Twins!”
topic I would like in the Comments. I don’t know a lot about simulation
baseball games and what is out there or available online, so please help answer
“Kevin’s” Question for me:
“thought for a future posting---for some of us addicts---What sim baseball games are good that are out there? i used to play micro league baseball all the time as a kid. i think that game is done and gone--are there any similar out there? also can any of them be played against others over the internet?”
· Finally, here is an article from Jim Caple on ESPN Page 2 from a couple of days ago regarding the Twins, Johan Santana, the new stadium and how it all could and should come together.
· I was looking through my e-mail account and found an e-mail I sent to myself late last week with the subject of Casilla. I noted that as of last Monday, she was hitting .313. There was an mlb.com article on Casilla’s improved play in the Dominican Republic and some of what he is hoping to accomplish in the Winter League. Casilla is the reason that I still am not worried about the Twins 2B needs.
· Update – 10:00 p.m. – MLB Rumors is now saying that the Red Sox have agreed to include Clay Buccholz in a trade for Johan. It’s interesting watching the Yankees make a concession, and now the Red Sox appear to be conceding Buccholz. How about this? The Twins get Clay Buccholz, Jed Lowrie, Jacoby Ellsbury and either Justin Masterson or Michael Bowden (or even better, Jon Lester) in exchange for Johan Santana. If the Red Sox say “No” on Ellsbury and insist on sending Coco Crisp instead, then the Twins should insist that the Red Sox take Nick Punto along with Santana.
· SI.com’s Jon Heyman wrote tonight that the Twins and Yankees have agreed on a deal to include Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera. However, they are squabbling over who the third player in the deal would be. The Twins apparently are insisting upon either AA Pitcher Alan Horne or Hi-A Outfielder Austin Jackson.
Again, let’s fill the comments. I will continue to update this if and when I hear any other rumors. I also encourage you to e-mail any rumors you are hearing (with links, please!) Thank you!