Tuesday, August 30, 2011
What Twins Should Go To The Arizona Fall League?
Sometime today, the Arizona Fall League rosters will be announced. Typically each team will send six players to Arizona. Sometimes a team will get a seventh player. The Twins don’t always send just their top prospects. First, players must have ended the season at Double-A or Triple-A, although there are now two spots that can go to players from High-A. Players who are from countries that have winter leagues (Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Mexico) are not eligible. (Note – I am not certain if this includes Australia now that the Australian Winter League will be going into its second season). Also, the Twins seem to like spreading the AFL opportunity around. Chris Parmelee went there the last two years, but generally it is rare for a Twins prospect to go their twice.
So, who do you think will be the six players sent to the Arizona Fall League? Here are the six that I would want to go there:
1. Brian Dozier – half season at New Britain, it’ll be great for him to play with and against some great prospects.
2. Alex Wimmers – Now that he’s throwing strikes, it’s time for him to get some innings.
3. Joe Benson – Was in the AFL a couple of years ago, but didn’t play a lot.
4. Dakota Watts – Hard-throwing bullpen arm would be served well to get more experience.
5. Tom Stuifbergen – missed a few starts early in the season. Opportunity to get a few more innings.
6. Chris Herrmann – can play outfield and get some time behind the plate too.
Any thoughts on which players the Twins should send to the AFL?? Comment here.