Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Weekly Minnesota Twins Podcast
Last night, I hosted this week’s SethSpeaks.net Weekly Minnesota Twins Podcast. It was actually one of my favorite podcasts. It was a full show, to be sure. The first guest was Scott Povolny, the owner of Twins Train. He’s made five trips already and has three more set up, plus a trip to Lambeau Field in October. Learn more about this great opportunity to bring Twins fans together. The next guest was Judd Spicer from City Pages. We discussed whether Joe Mauer should be playing in the All Star Game tonight, and more. The third guest was Cody Christie. He writes the blog North Dakota Twins Fan. He was on the Twins Train with several of his friends. They were there are part of his bachelor party, so we got his thoughts on the trip and on a few Twins topics. And finally, we spent about ten minutes catching up with Twins OF prospect Joe Benson about his first half. I asked him what his thoughts were when he was sent down to Ft. Myers from New Britain. What did Terry Ryan tell him? What areas does he still need to improve, and why is he hitting so many more home runs this year? And what are his hopes for the 2nd half of the season? It was definitely a very full show, but it was a lot of fun. I really think that if you listen, you’ll enjoy it, so please do.
I will write a ton more about my Twins Train trip to Detroit tomorrow, but for today, here are my Facebook pictures from the trip; from Comerica Park, to the good and bad areas of Detroit, to driving around in Chicago. Sooze posted her thoughts (and many pictures) of our Detroit Trip both on her Star Tribune blog and on her Babes Love Baseball site.
Don’t forget to pick up your copy of the TwinsCentric 2010 Trade Deadline Primer today. If you want to see all of the Trade Deadline Primers (all 24) that TwinsCentric produced, just go to www.TwinsCentric.com where you can also find a FREE ¼ book to give you an idea of what you would be purchasing.
On Tuesday at 1:10, I will be a guest on Sports Talk on WDAY Radio (am970 in Fargo).
Be sure to watch John Bonnes (Twins Geek) in his debut Sports on Demand show on Fox 9 Sports. He did a very nice job discussing many Twins topics with Seth Kaplan and Jim Rich. They also presented their Midseason Awards.
Minor League Notes
· Rochester did not play on Monday. It was the first day of their All Star Break. Anthony Slama and Dustin Martin are the Red Wings’ representatives in Wednesday’s game.
· New Britain beat Portland 4-3 on Monday afternoon, an early game to allow an earlier start to their All-Star break. In the game, the Rockcats will be represented by Ben Revere, Kyle Gibson and Deolis Guerra. In the game, Joe Benson and Chris Parmelee each went 2-4 with a double. Alexander Soto hit his second home run. David Bromberg started and gave up three runs on eight hits in 6.1 innings. He walked none and struck out six. Chris Province gave up one hit over the next 1.2 innings and improves to 4-1. Billy Bullock recorded his 5th AA save by striking out three in the ninth. In Bullock’s Rockcats debut last month, he gave up four earned runs in just 0.2 innings. In seven games since then, he has given up just one run in 8.2 innings.
· Ft. Myers topped Jupiter 7-2. Santos Arias pitched a complete game. He gave up two runs on seven hits and a walk in the nine inning outing. Drew Thompson provided his 3rd and 4th home runs in the game. Angel Morales, Chris Herrmann and Jonathan Goncalves each went 2-4. Deibinson Romero was 1-2 with a walk and his third home run.
· Beloit and Elizabethton had their games cancelled or postponed.
· The GCL Twins beat the GCL Rays 5-3. Eddie Rosario went 3-4 with his 5th and 6th doubles and his 6th stolen base. Miguel Sano was 1-3 with a walk and his third double. Justin Parker improved to 2-1 with a 0.95 ERA with five scoreless innings. Trayvone Johnson, Tyler Herr and Bart Carter each threw a scoreless inning. Hein Robb came in for the 9th and gave up three runs on three hits and a walk without recording an out before he came out and Eddie Ahorrio came in and recorded his 2nd save.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them here.